A Sad Story

 

A a photographer, sometimes I have people contacting me to use my photographs.

So this past July (July 3rd, 2022), a magazine editor reached out asking for permission to use two of my photographs in an essay he was writing. 

July 3

image.png

July 15

"There are two of your photographs I would like to use if I may?  One is the face of a young man who seems to be on an underground train - about to travel through time and space and the other is of two Iron Maiden fans ( could we get these two photographs to use in the piece?) 

Your work is great.  I really like how you capture a kind of between worlds - the real - the surreal - in a kind of cinematic noir.  It is as if we are waiting for something to happen, will the train doors suddenly open and the young man will flee the train pursued by a couple of heavy, dark villains, are the Iron Maiden fans part of an underground cult that is plotting to take over the world?

Someday I would like to write about  you and your work.

I will let you read the essay once I have it written." ...................................................................................................................................................................................

I thought I'd google his name as well as his magazine to find information on that editor. Then I decided to give permission. His enthusiasm and admiration for my work just made me happy, not for ego; but for the joy of knowing my photographs positively impact on others. It's nice when your work generates enthusiasm in viewers, it's nice when someone, above all when a magazine's editor finds your photography exhilarating and interesting. 

Days were passing by without hearing from Sergio, to make a long story short, so I thought I'd pop in and see what was going on regarding my photos.

It was only a few days ago, when I learned the sad news that Sergio Burns passed away on Wednesday 20th July, 2022. This is absolutely sad and shocking news. 

It is with great sadness that I am writing this post. Sergio Burns was an author, a senior journalist and editor at AM Ayshire Magazine. He has written for a wide range of newspapers and magazines including Mail On Sunday, Sunday Herald, Japan Times, Contemporary magazine, Scottish Fields, In These Times (USA), Austin Chronicle (USA), and was for many years the writer of the Europhoria column for Indalico (Spain) and the New Entertainer (Spain). Studied at Glasgow University, Strathclyde University and the University of the West of Scotland. 

I've hadn't the honor to meet him in person. He was a very talented and creative writer and editor. 
I would like to express my deepest condolences to Sergio's family.

R.I.P. Sergio Burns